Emo’s history is similar to all communities in the Thunder Bay-Rainy River district, one that was settled in the early 1880’s by pioneers who arrived for free homesteads. The community of Emo was incorporated into a township in 1899. Its first Reeve, Alexander Luttrell, traveled from Ireland to the area in the 1880’s and named Emo after a town close to his Irish birthplace. He became the town’s first Reeve in 1899 and still has relatives that live in Emo to this day.
The village of Emo is located along the Rainy River in Lash Township, directly north of the state of Minnesota. The main industries in the township are agriculture and forestry and because of its geographical location, Emo serves as the main service centre for agricultural needs of the Rainy River District.